Jayadeva's Brooklyn: Dogs, Babies and Love in Sunset Park

My life in Brooklyn, now with my baby, and fellow dog lover, by my side.

Friday, August 25, 2006

Dog Days of Summer

Whew! Jaya did Not like the weather this summer. Ok, yes, she does look pretty happy in this picture. I assure you though, she's panting up a storm. We just got lucky enough that afternoon to lounge some in the cool grass of Sunset Park.

I know that I was feeling the dread of Global Warming upon us, while sweating through a silk sleeveless on my short jaunt from Subway to office. I even left my A.C. on (lowest, energy saving setting) for Jaya all day. Even so, I'd still often come home to the sound of my arthritic pooch leaping out of her cool bathtub retreat.


Political Action

What to do something about it? Working Assets' Act for Change and League of Conservation Voters are launching a joint campaign to get Congress to get off their air-conditioned butts and take action on renewable energy and conservation issues.


You don't have to sign-up for anything, or receive any email from either organization. It will get you to a screen asking you to pass this initiative onto your friends, but after you see the confirmation that you wrote your representatives, you can easily just close that window and you're done.

http://action.lcv.org/campaign/jeffords_waxman_gw_0810?qp_source=adv%5fwa%5f0806


Social Action


If you like getting daily, humorous and well-written updates about little things you can do to save the earth, sign-up for Ideal Bites Daily Tips. The site is run by down-to-earth, everyday people, who want to keep daily lifestyles green. I received a fast response to my request to post their link here,

"Thanks so much for adding our link to your blog! We're thrilled to hear you're enjoying the Daily Tip and helping to spread the Ideal Bite word...Cheers, Emily & the Ideal Bite Team."


Financial Action

This is my favorite form of environmentalism - shopping! I love that there are new eco-friendly shops opening up all over Brooklyn.

Here a two of my favorites in Park Slope...

3R Living

http://www.3rliving.com/

I received a few gifts from 3R Living and they're always welcome. They have an extensive online store as well as their well designed Brookyn shop (276L 5th Ave, bet. Garfield Pl & 1st St). They have fair trade handicrafts, gifts from reclaimed materials and green household items.

Here's my current online fav:

"Baaaa! Hand knitted by rural women in Kenya.

Made from Natural Wool.

7.0" x 4.0"

Our price: $25."




Greenjeans

http://www.greenjeans.com/ (under construction) & their blog (also on Blogger) http://www.greenjeans.blogspot.com/

I met Amy, half of the Greenjeans married duo, back when their store first opened. She had an easy kindness and patiently answered all my questions about the crafts’ creators. Visit them at 449 7th Avenue, bet. 15th & 16th Sts.

As always, please let me know if there are any other links that should be here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home