Jayadeva's Brooklyn: Dogs, Babies and Love in Sunset Park

My life in Brooklyn, now with my baby, and fellow dog lover, by my side.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Literary Dogs

Here is a collection of dog related books I've read, or have had recommended to me.
Alphabetical by Subject, Title, then Author.


Children:
For your child, or just the young at heart. I bought “Busy Doggies” under the auspices of gifting it to my little neice, but I just can’t let go. It’s such a pure, simple, dog-lover’s delight.

Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery, by James and Deborah Howe
I had to post the synopsis, because this is (notice "is" not "was" - no shame whatsoever) one of my all-time favorite books...
Harold the dog and Chester the cat are the contented pets of the kind Monroe family. Their life is gentle and quite--until the Monroes bring home a new pet, a rabbit they've named Bunnicula because they found it at the local movie theater while watching a screening of DRACULA. Bunnicula looks like your run-of-the-mill bunny to Harold, but Chester insists that Bunnicula has fangs, and the black markings on his white fur make it look like he's wearing a cape. Then something strange starts happening--all the vegetables in the Monroe house are suddenly dry and shriveled, as if they've had all their juices sucked out of them. And could those be fang marks? Is Bunnicula really a vampire rabbit? (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunnicula for a list of the 20 other books featuring the Bunnicula characters)

Busy Doggies, by Beverly Sparks and John Schindel





Clifford, the Big Red Dog, by Norman Bridwell
An entire series devoted to this loveable guy.






Doggies, by Sandra Boynton





Harry the Dirty Dog, by Gene Zion
Another little-Jen favorite.





Kipper, by Mick Inkpen
I just love hearing my neice, Maya's little voice in my head talking about her favorite PBS doggy, "Kippah."




Lily the Lost Puppy, written by Jenny Dale, illustrated by, Frank Rodgers
Admission: never read this, just fell in love with Frank Rodgers' cover.



Poky Little Puppy, The, written by Janette Sebring and illustrated by Gustaf Tenggren






Sally Goes to theMountains, by Stephen Huneck
Read his whole woodblock illustrated series.





Whistle for Willie, by Ezra Jack Keats




Children (Espanol):

Here I found an old favorite, “Big Dog, Little Dog” in Spanish. I’m sure plenty of other can be found in translation.

Perro Grande...Perro Pequeno: Un Cuento De Las Buenas Noches, por P. D. Eastman


Great Titles:
These are books that sounds great, but as I’ve never read them, I cannot actually recommend them.




Doga: Yoga for Dogs, by Jennifer Brilliant and William Berloni
It was bound to happen. I mean, who does the best Downward Dog anyhow?


Life is Good!: Lessons in Joyful Living, by Trixie Koontz, Dean Koontz (Editor)
Yes, The Dean Koontz. Here, jumping out of his professionally spooky voice, he apparently is demoted to editing his dog, Trixie.

Living With Dogs: Tales of Love, Commitment, and Enduring Friendship,
by Henry Korman and Mary Ellen Korman

I & Dog, by The Monks of New Skete

My Lead Dog Was a Lesbian: Mushing Across Alaska in the Iditarod-The World's Most Grueling Race, by Brian Patrick O'Donoghue

My Therapist's Dog: Lessons in Unconditional Love, by Diana Wells

Three Dog Bakery Cookbook: Over 50 Recipes for All-Natural Paw-Lickin
Treats for Your Dog
, by Dan Dye, Mark Beckloff

Who Moved My Bone: A Guide for Multi--Dog Households, by Theresa Mancuso


Heath:

For the Life of Your Dog: A Complete Guide to Having a Dog From Adoption and Birth Through Sickness and Health, by Greg Louganis and Betsy Siino Sikora
Yes, the Greg Louganis.


Humor:

Mutts Sunday Afternoons, by Patrick McDonnell




New Yorker Book of Dog Cartoons, The
I love this one by, Danny Shanahan, Published in The New Yorker May 8, 1989





Why Dogs are Better than Men, by Jennifer Berman
http://www.jenniferberman.com/pages/product/product.html
My husband and I love all her comics in The Funny Times. Jennifer's online comic page is currently under construction.


Mutts:
My absolute favorite breed.


Just Mutts: A Tribute to the Rogues of Dogdom, by Gene Hill and Steve Smith
I just love this little guy on the cover! I keep hearing Jack's voice in my head saying, "Just Mutts!"


Mostly Mutts: Unforgettable Photographs of Man's Best Friend, by Darwin
Wiggett
My new favorite photographer.

Mutts: America's Dogs, by Brian Kilcommons, Michael Capuzzo
Underdog: A Celebration of Mutts, The, by Julia Szabo


Non-Fiction:

Getting Lucky: How One Special Dog Found Love and a Second Chance at
Angel's Gate
, by Denise Flaim, Susan Marino
I haven't read this yet, but my friend, Poppy, brought it back for me from The Martha Stewart Show. Apparently the authors were guest staring; She said she was very moved. I'm looking forward to starting it!

Touring and Travelling:

DogFriendly.com's United States And Canada Dog Travel Guide, by Len Kain and Tara
Kain

Dog Lover's Companion to New York City, The, by Christian J. Lau and Joanna Downey


Novels:

Sight Hound, by Pam Houston
http://www.pamhouston.net/sighthound.html
I love Pam Houston so much. I've read everything by her. She seems to me the soul sister of Dar Williams, if that makes any sense. Well, I guess it does, becuase Pam quotes Dar in one of her books.

Timbuktu: A Novel, by Paul Auster
Fun, quick, very Auster, written from our dog hero's point of view, but never cheesy.


Science:


Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home: And Other Unexplained
Powers of Animals
, by Rupert Sheldrake





Dogwatching, by Desmond Morris


Short Stories:

Dog Is My Co-Pilot: Great Writers on the World's Oldest Friendship, from the editors of Bark
Magazine


James Herriot's Dog Stories, by James Herriot

Literary dog: Great contemporary dog stories, The, by Jeanne Schinto

Old Dogs Remembered, by Bud Johns


Training:

Cesar's Way: The Natural, Commonsense Guide to Understanding And Correcting
All Common Dog Problems
, by Cesar Millan

How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog
Owners
, by Monks of New Skete

How To Talk To Your Dog, by Jean Craighead George

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home