Jayadeva's Brooklyn: Dogs, Babies and Love in Sunset Park

My life in Brooklyn, now with my baby, and fellow dog lover, by my side.

Monday, April 14, 2008

My Favorite Dog Songs

It's been a stressful weekend on the dog front, with Jaya still imprisoned in her Victorian collar at night (though she's not bumping into quite as much now) and Dan telling me that we need to "starting thinking concretely about..." and though he didn't finish his sentence, my heart raced and I replied that he would have to keep hugging me and our conversation would stop and start through my tears. We never got around to talking about it, but Jaya's benign tumor behind her left shoulder blade keeps growing and the strength in her back legs continues to deteriorate. I'd love someone to write back with positive "end of life" tales to help me through these thoughts and ultimate decisions.

Therefore, on a positive note, I thought I'd post about the songs that make my heart smile with furry joy.

1. Dog on Wheels - Belle and Sebastian. The first time I heard this song, I cried and it has since made it's way onto two mix CD's for friends and family.


2. I Love my Dog - Cat Stevens. Click on this link to watch the BBC video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWT2qHVftGk. I first learned of this song while watching Year of the Dog and immediately bought the soundtrack on eBay. However, I was so bummed to learned that it was not included on this! Alas, now I'm waiting for the Cat Stevens CD it's on to show-up on Lala.com.

3. The Shepherd's Dog - Iron and Wine. Ok, this song isn't really all that much about dogs, but there's a dog in the title and I adore this song and just about everything by Iron and Wine.

My beautiful friend and fellow dog-lover, Katie Fleissner, sent me the following dog song suggestion...

4. Dogsong AKA Sleep Dog Lullaby - The Be Good Tanyas

Be sure to check-out Katie's awesome Planetary Pastries. Here's some pictorial evidence of her beautiful work. This is a gorgeous chocolate ganache cake with chocolate decorations. All her ingredients are unrefined, organic when possible,
and which can be obtained directly from the source, and/or origins of which she can trace.

I am crazy for her tarts!




That's all I can think of at the moment. What am I missing? Send me more dog songs please!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There (Eileen from st. Louis) ~

i wish i could give you something heartwarming and encouraging; but...we're kind of new at this too. Perhaps it helps knowing as i struggle with our daisy i'm thinking of you, too.

Monday, April 21, 2008 1:26:00 PM  
Blogger JenAriel said...

Thanks so much Eileen. Give Daisy a kiss on the nose for me. How's she doing these days?

Monday, April 21, 2008 2:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daisy is better, but it has been a long,hard four weeks. She still bumps, stumbles, and tumbles. But her appetite is better. She pants a lot and seems stressed, but then she will thump her tail as if to say 'i'm not giving up, don't you either'. Her site and hearing had been poor, and she has some tumors too ~ but not 'life threatening'.
I think when the tail thumps stop and the nose shuts down, we'll know its time....for now,she seems to be enjoying the fresh spring weather and all the scents carried in the breezes. We did realize we needed to talk to our vet about when the time comes: the procedure, the various options and costs. That was difficult, but now we know; and we've agreed on a plan. We also have talked about what we'll do afterwards....no more pets for awhile. She is such a good dog: we've been fortunate, very blessed.
eileen

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:25:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home